Powered by Blogger.

Apple Pie, Oh My!


I promised Hadley when we were apple pickin' Saturday that we could make an apple pie this week with some of the apples from our peck!  Tuesday night, I made the dough for the crust and let it sit in the fridge overnight.  Making homemade crust is the longest part of the process so having that already done was nice!  I also pre-sliced/peeled 8 cups of apples.

After Griffin went down for his morning nap, Hadley and I got to baking!

First, we rolled out our pie crust.  (*Before I took Griffin to bed, I set the dough out to start coming to room temperature.  It sat for about 20 minutes.)  We also rolled out the pie crust for the top of the pie.



Then we put the pie crust in the pie plate.  Hadley did such a good job making sure the pie crust didn't have any air bubbles and sat well on the edges of the plate.  Her favorite part was taking the excess pie crust off the top!


We set the pie crust out of the way and started mixing our ingredients.  Hadley has just recently started to enjoy "helping" me cook and she wants to do everything by herself.


We whisked all the dry ingredients together.  I always tell her to "go slow" so she won't toss the ingredients out of the bowl.  She told me I could have a turn and I whisked quickly to make sure they were well mixed and she said, "Mommy!  You have to do it slowly!"


Once our ingredients were mixed, we poured them on top of our apples.  We coated the apples with lots of sugar, cinnamon, and nutmeg!  We then heaped the apples into the middle of the pie crust.



Once the apples were in the pie crust, we put the top crust on, scored it with a knife in a few places, and Hadley fluted the edges.  She was taking her job very seriously.


When it was time to pop it in the oven, I snapped a picture of my girl and her very first homemade pie!  It had to bake for about an hour and every 10 minutes or so, she would go over to the oven to check on it.  Sweet girl!

The finished product!  A delicious, from-scratch, apple pie made from apples that Hadley picked herself.  We had so much fun baking together and I think her pie turned out beautiful! (And delicious!)

No comments