Powered by Blogger.

Blog-tember Day 12

I'm linking back up with Bailey again today for Blog-tember.  Today's topic is: three books!

1. Book I've Just Read: The Nightingale by Kristin Hannah
    Oh y'all.  Loved this book.  Loved it.  I love reading anything about World War II, the lives of people who lived during it (I know this book is fiction...), and I just find it all so interesting.  It happened and I don't want to forget it happened.  Anyway....this book is about two sisters in France in WWII and their own paths they take during the war.  I couldn't put it down.




2. Book I'm Currently Reading: A Prayer for Owen Meany: A Novel by John Irving
    I'm a little late to the party on this one.  It was published in 1989 and the movie "Simon Birch" is based on it.  But I liked the movie when I saw it years ago and so here I am reading the book.  It's about two best friends, one with some type of physical growth abnormality, and the death of one of their mothers by the friend.  So far, it's interesting.



3. Book I Want to Read: The New Jim Crow by Michelle Alexander 
    I read Just Mercy by Bryan Stevenson and I was pretty riveted by it.  Every other chapter tells the story of Walter, a wrongly-accused, poor, black man on death row.  The other chapters speak to the inherent inhumanity of the justice system and prison system.  It's just a really eye opening book. I've heard good things about The New Jim Crow as well, so I want to read it.  Race and racial disparity is such a prominent topic in our society today and I want to educate myself.


I'm always looking for books to read, so I can't wait to see what others suggest!

7 comments

  1. I'm interested in the last two books you mention... they both sound so good!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've heard about the Nightingale over and over but for some reason you mentioning it makes me finally feel like I should add it to my reading list! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. John Irving looks interesting to me, thank you for sharing! Have a happy Monday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So far, so good! I always enjoy when books are better than the movie! You have a beautiful family, by the way!

      Delete
  4. Have you read All the Light We Cannot See? That's my favorite WWII novel!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I read The Nightingale a few months ago. I've been on a WWII kick lately! I actually haven't read A Pray for Owen Meany, but it's been on my list for a long time.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I loved the Nightingale, too! I always recommend another Kristin Hannah book, Winter Garden, to all those who loved the Nightingale. Winter Garden is one of my all time favorites!

    ReplyDelete