Powered by Blogger.

5 Rituals for a Better Day



I don't know about you, but for me, morning's can be a real struggle.  I've always been a night owl and loved sleeping in.  When I got a job as a night shift nurse, that didn't help matters!  I was awake all night and sleeping during the day.  However, when kids came into the picture, I had to change up my routine.  I'll be perfectly honest- I still don't get much sleep.  Both of my babies still get up throughout the night and I've learned just how little sleep my body actually needs to function.  (Unfortunately, my body may pay for it down the road based on this article!)


*We had a lot of fun on night shift!*

Lack of sleep, busy toddlers, schoolwork, and keeping the house clean all weigh on my shoulders.  Over the last few years, I've worked out a "routine" that I've found helps me start my days on the right foot and deal with whatever life throws at me.  It's trial-and-error, not set in stone, and as my needs change, so will my routine, but here is what works for me right now:

Shower the Night Before
Here's the thing: I don't shower everyday.  (gasp!)  I'm not a hippie, I'm not an oil-lover, and I wear deodorant, okay??  But I do think commercial soaps dry out your skin, mess up your skins natural oils, as shampoos do to your scalp as well.  My skin has gotten a little more sensitive over my pregnancies and this is what I've found that works for now.  Showering the night before allows me some peace and quiet (hallelujah!), I'm not constantly making sure my kids are locked in the bedroom with me, and I'm not having to get up any earlier than I already do to shower in the morning.  I can relax in a hot shower while hubby pulls some night routines with our kiddos.



via

Get Up 2 Hours Before Kids
This has been such a key to feeling like our day is going to go well.  I get up at 5:30am every day (except weekends, but I still get up around 7am then.)  Getting up 2 hours before my kids gets up allows me to spend time with God in the quiet morning hours, check/answer e-mails, work on schoolwork uninterrupted, and get a head start on the day.  I feel so accomplished by the time my babies wake up that I feel good about spending time with them instead of running through the list of things that still need to be done.


via

Cup O' Joe
The first thing I do after I get up at 5:30am is make a cup of coffee.  I can sit quietly and actually enjoy my HOT cup of coffee, instead of random sips of cold coffee as I'm chasing toddlers around.  I can literally feel my body waking up and becoming more productive.


via

Devotion and Quiet Time
Oh, how much I need this.  One of my absolute favorite times of the day is sitting with a warm cup of coffee in my hand and reading through the Word.  Spending time with God--without multiple demands (Please God, just help us get to school on time!  God, if you hear me, please get my daughter to stop sassing me before we both need time-outs!  Lord, I need you to give me some patience right now...)--in the early morning hours is one of the best things I do to start my day.  Coffee wakes my body, quiet time with God wakes my soul.


Look Over My Planner
The last thing I do is look over my planner for the day.  It's divided by time slots and I fill in what I know.  That allows me to see my "free" time and I can plan my to-do list around those free slots.  Having a plan for the day helps my stringent, Type-A personality feel a little less anxious and like I can tackle the day.



My routine is fluid and will change as my needs change.  If I feel like I need more sleep, then I take it!  If I need another cup of coffee to get me going, then I make one!  What are some things you do that help start your day on the right foot?

1 comment

  1. I think waking up before your kids is so smart. I rarely do this. For all of my adult life, I needed to wake between 4:45-5:45 for work. Now, I sleep in until 7 with Madeline. I think having that quiet time would be so nice.

    ReplyDelete