Powered by Blogger.

How I Stay Organized


*So really, that picture has two points: first, obviously I need coffee in my life to function, but second....my nails are on point.  Love that color.  Can't remember the name, but I love it.

Anyway....

I am a Type-A extrovert and always have things going on.  Always.  And if I don't have something planned, I make plans because I thrive in staying busy. Throw in graduate school, work, a house to keep up, meals to cook, and 3 other people to keep track of (yep, I'm including my husband here!) and that alone is enough to make any introvert want to crawl in a hole.  (I feel ya, my husband has a hard time keeping up with me!) Sometimes I have so many things planned that inevitably things slip through the cracks.  I always hate that because I'm usually letting someone down and it's typically a sign that I have too much on my plate.  So, over time I have come up with some things that keep me a little more organized and help the day-to-day run much smoother!

First and foremost, I have to have coffee.  I know, I know, caffeine is "addicting", but I can't start my day without coffee.  I don't drink sodas or tea, but for some reason the coffee really wakes me up.  My brain starts to function (I get up at 5:30am) and during that peaceful first cup before the kids get up...I have time to actually THINK.  So, other than my coffee fix, how do I stay organized?

[ONE.]


I have a paper planner. (Mine is the day designer planner made specifically for Target last year, I can't find the link to it!)  I know a lot of people sync their phones, iPads, and computers now, but I just cannot get my head wrapped around that.  I need an old-fashioned, paper and pen planner with monthly and daily views.  Each evening, I sit down and go through the following day so I know what to expect and create my timeline to get things done.  

Speaking of calendars, I also have a big calendar hung up in the kitchen to keep important dates on that we can easily glance at.  If your family is anything like mine, we tend to congregate in the kitchen (hello, food!) when we are talking about future plans so it just makes sense that our wall calendar is within eyesight there.  My favorite wall calendars are the Shutterfly ones that have my babies pictures all over them. :)


[TWO.]

Those planners and calendars?  Are color-coded.  (Of course they are!)  Each person in our family has a designated color (as do travel and "special" events) and they are the same for both calendars.  Annnd if I'm feeling really Type-A, then I'll put it in my phone calendar as well, which is also color-coded to the correct specifications.  I seriously feel like a lunatic typing all of this out, haha! 

[THREE.]



In the past, I did laundry on one day and one day only.  I know some of you are laughing at me behind your screens (it's okay, really!) because how does that work??? And to be honest, it worked for a 2 person family, but for four?  It doesn't really!  As our laundry pile continues to grow, my tactics have had to change.  Laundry days are now Wednesdays and Saturdays.  I spend half as much time doing laundry because the piles are smaller.  I've never hated doing laundry, my biggest qualm is with putting the dang stuff away.  I loathe putting laundry away and this keeps my piles small enough that it really isn't an issue.

[FOUR.]




I vaccuum or sweep our main living ares everyday.  We have wooden floors throughout our entire home and lots of crumbly kids running around.  I hate walking on crumbs, so every evening after dinner I vacuum and sweep. That way, when the weekend rolls around, I spend less time cleaning and more time working on school work, playing with kids, or getting projects done around the house.

[FIVE.]



I meal plan.  Yep.  I'm "that person".  I have to.  From 2-5 every day my kids are like hungry monsters.  They are always wanting snacks and drinks and more snacks and I better have dinner ready at 5 or World War III is going to start right in my very own home.  Instead of trying to figure out what I'm cooking each day, meal planning allows me to know what needs to be prepared ahead of time.  I even write down our meals each week in a notebook so I can refer back to it on weeks we can't think of anything.


These are some of the things I've learned to do overtime to decrease my anxiety level about my busy life.  But, I can always use more organization tips- so, what are yours?  Throw 'em at me, because I need all the help I can get!

Erin










3 comments

  1. I always write down our meal plan, too! For laundry, I spend 20 minutes a day on it. I wash and dry one day and then fold and put away the next day on repeat forever and ever. It is my least favorite chore so it keeps it from ever piling up.

    Love your planner! I've been loyal to Erin Condren for years and years and switched to a monthly view only to try this year and am surprisingly loving it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that you color-code your calendar! That's really smart. I try to but sometimes I forget and then I just get frustrated and confused, haha.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha yes! The best part is when I get a new planner and a new pack of pens and start to fill in the year. Although, I made my post yesterday and completely forgot about an assignment that was due last night. So clearly it’s not foolproof, ha!

      Delete